Distracted Driver Accidents Attorney Denver, Colorado
Distracted driver accidents are common occurrences in Denver as more and more drivers are failing to operate their vehicles with reasonable care. Although common, distracted driver accidents can be very traumatic and result in serious injuries.
If you were involved in a car accident with a driver who was distracted in Denver, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. As defined in section 13-80-101 of the Colorado Revised Statutes, an individual who has been injured by a distracted driver in a car accident may not be able to file a lawsuit for damages against the negligent party after a certain period of time has passed.
Also known as a statute of limitations or SOL, this time period is limited to three years for motor vehicle negligence accidents in Colorado. Therefore, if you have been injured in a car accident by a negligent distracted driver, you only have three years to file a lawsuit for your injuries; after this period has passed, your claim will be barred.
Denver Distracted Driver Accident Lawyer
If a driver’s inattentiveness resulted in you suffering severe injuries or your loved one being killed, it is in your best interest to immediately seek legal representation. Donaldson Law, LLC represents clients throughout the Mile High City and surrounding areas in Denver County, Boulder County, Arapahoe County, Adams County, and Jefferson County.
Jennifer Donaldson is a car accident attorney in Denver, Colorado who has been a recipient of both the AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale-Hubbell® and Lawyer of the Year by the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association. She will evaluate your case and discuss all of your legal options with you during a free, no-obligation consultation as soon as you call (303) 458-5000 today.
Types of Distractions in Colorado Accidents
While we are taught to always keep our eyes on the road at all times and be aware of all possible dangers ahead, many motorists are susceptible to any one of a number of distractions within their vehicles at any given time. Diverting one’s attention from for even just a few seconds carries an exceptional level of danger.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s distracted driving website, a person who takes his or her eyes off the road for the 4.6 seconds it typically takes to send or read a text message while driving at 55 mph essentially drives the length of an entire football field blindfolded. Some of the most common distractions include, but are not limited to:
- Texting and driving;
- Talking on a cell phone and driving;
- Checking e-mail while driving;
- Checking social media profiles while driving;
- Changing the radio station while driving;
- Putting on makeup while driving;
- Reading while driving;
- Eating or drinking while driving; or
- Smoking a cigarette while driving.
Driving While Drowsy
What should I do if I find myself driving while drowsy?
If you often find yourself going in and out of sleep while driving, take the following precautions to avoid causing an accident or worse:
- Pullover– Do not continue driving while you are showing signs of tiredness or exhaustion. Find a safe place such as a rest area to take a short nap before reentering the roadway.
- Slow down– Once you realize that you are too tired to continue driving; do not rush home in an attempt to beat your drowsiness. After taking a nap off-road, continue driving at a reasonable speed to avoid increasing your chances of an accident.
- Drink caffeine– If you have access to caffeine, drink coffee or another energy drink that will temporarily help you to maintain alertness. Be mindful that the effects of caffeine are temporary and will not last the length of a long trip.
- Get more sleep– The night before you operate a motor vehicle, make sure to schedule a minimum of seven hours of sleep. This will make a big difference in your energy levels during your drive.
- Phone a friend– If possible, have a friend or family member accompany you during long trips. Interacting with another person may help you to stay more alert, and you can take shifts driving if necessary.
We also offer the following practice areas at Donaldson law LLC:
- Rear-End Impact Accidents
- Reckless Driver Accidents
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Underinsured / Uninsured Motorist Accidents
- Low Speed Impact Crash
- High Speed Impact Accident
- Passenger Injury Accidents
- Side Impact Collisions
- Winter Driving Collision Resource
- Hit and Run Accidents Injury
- Denver, Colorado Uber Accidents
- Teenage Driving Accident
- Underage DUI
Call Our Denver, Colorado Winter Sports Injury Lawyers at Donaldson Law, LLC For Your Free Consultation Today
Did you sustain serious injuries or was your loved killed by a distracted driver in Colorado? Donaldson Law, LLC fights to get justice for car accident victims in such communities as Centennial, Aurora, Longmont, Westminster, Boulder, Arvada, Lakewood, Thornton, and Littleton.
Denver personal injury lawyer Jennifer Donaldson has 30 years of experience handling complex civil litigation claims. Call (303) 458-5000 or submit an online form right now to set up a free initial consultation that will let her review your case.