If you have been involved in a car accident, the experience can impact every aspect of your life. Do not wait for matters to get worse or for your claim to be denied or disputed by an insurance company. It is important to contact a personal injury lawyer in Denver immediately to help you seek fair and just compensation for the injuries you sustained from your accident.
Jennifer Donaldson understands that an auto accident can be a life-changing event. The expense of medical treatment and lost time from work can quickly create significant financial burdens. The stress is often overwhelming. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car crash, Jennifer Donaldson can help alleviate some of the worry and help you recuperate some of your expenses.
In Colorado, victims of auto accidents typically have three years from the date of the collision to resolve their claim or file a law suit. If you were involved in a collision with a government-owned vehicle, other deadlines can occur in as early as 182 days.
Given the short amount of time within which to resolve your claims, it is important to immediately contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your car accident. The Law Office of Jennifer Donaldson offers free consultations to auto accident victims.
Lawyer for Serious Car Accidents in Denver, CO
Contact the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson today if you have been injured in a car accident throughout Denver and the surrounding areas of Boulder, Broomfield, Longmont, Lakewood, Arvada, Aurora, Thornton, Westminster, Centennial, and Littleton.
Attorney Jennifer L. Donaldson has 30 years of experience in representing individuals who have been injured in car accidents and will make every effort to help you recover full and fair compensation. Call the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson at (303) 458-5000 for a consultation regarding your car accident claim.
Information on Colorado Auto Accidents
- What kind of accident claims are there in Denver?
- Are there certain steps a person should take after an accident?
- What kinds of compensation can be recovered?
- Do victims have to see a doctor if they feel fine?
- Why shouldn’t a person accept a settlement offer by an insurance company?
- Where can I learn more about car accidents?
Car Accident Claims in Denver
Car accident claims can arise from a number of situations. Some of the most common car accident scenarios resulting in personal injury claims and lawsuits are as follows:
- High Speed Crashes
- Low Speed Crashes
- Head On Impact Crashes
- Rear Impact Crashes
- Side Impact Collisions
- Passenger Injury Accidents
- Uninsured Motorist Accidents
- DUI / Drunk Driver Accidents
- Reckless Driver Accidents
- Distracted Driver Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Dram Shop Liability Accidents
These accidents often are caused by at least one driver’s negligence. The following actions may establish a driver’s negligence:
- Drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
- Drive while distracted,
- Drive recklessly,
- Fail to abide by traffic signals,
- Drive with road rage,
- Drive while talking on a cell phone,
- Speed or drive too slowly, and/or
- Drive while texting on a cell phone.
Steps to Take After a Denver Car Accident
As with every accident, there are steps you should always take. The following precautions will help ensure your safety, allow you to begin recovering from your injuries and protect your rights:
- Be Safe – Do not get out of your car unless you are in a safe location. Do not move your vehicle unless it is necessary to protect your safety and the safety of those around you, and you are physically able to do so.
- Call 911 and/or The Police – Check to see if anyone was injured. If anyone has suffered any injuries, call 911 and the police. Exchange driver and witness contact information, and, if possible, assist the police in the investigation.
- Seek Medical Attention – If you are injured, it is likely an ambulance will be called to transport you to the emergency department. If you were not taken to the hospital by ambulance and you continue to experience pain or develop new or worsening of your symptoms, you should immediately seek medical attention. Diagnosing and treating all injuries caused by the crash is essential to your physical recovery, as well as your ability to obtain full and fair compensation from the negligent party.
- Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer – The at-fault driver will likely have an insurance company protecting his or her interests. Be sure to contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible after the crash. It is important not to give a statement to the insurance company, sign any documents or accept a settlement offer until you have retained a skilled personal injury lawyer to protect your interests during this troubling and often life-changing time.
Take these steps as soon as possible following your accident as they will help you begin to heal and regain all that you have lost due to the negligence of the at-fault driver.
What Can I Be Compensated For?
Title 13, Article 21 of the Colorado Revised Statutes lays out the types of damages for which you can be compensated in a lawsuit. These include economic damages, noneconomic damages, and physical impairment and disfigurement.
This covers a broad range of expenses, including:
- Medical Bills: These include not just emergency room expenses, but also follow up visits, physical therapy, prescription drugs and more.
- Damage to Your Vehicle: Your vehicle likely sustained significant damage, or may have been totaled. Your attorney can seek the fair market value of your car, truck or motorcycle.
- Loss of Income and Diminished Earning Capacity: If you were in the hospital or could not make it to work for a while, you may have lost out on pay, or had to take valuable sick time or paid time off (PTO). You should be compensated for this loss. Likewise, you should be compensated if the accident caused permanent damage that will limit your ability to work.
- Pain and Suffering, Mental Anguish: Car accidents are a harrowing experience, and you should be compensated for the pain and stress you felt. Colorado limits damages of this type to $468,010.
Should I Go To the Doctor After a Car Accident?
Yes. If you are experiencing pain after an accident, it is important that you seek medical attention as soon as possible. Many injuries are not immediately apparent and do not require emergency attention or transportation to the hospital by ambulance. It is not uncommon, however, for accident victims to begin experiencing symptoms hours and sometimes days after a crash.
A common injury in auto accidents, especially rear-end accidents, is whiplash. Whiplash can cause severe neck pain and can be debilitating, limiting a person’s mobility. However, the extent of the injury is not always apparent. Immediately seeking treatment with your primary care physician is the first step to diagnosing your injuries and to recovery.
Immediately going to a medical professional can also provide documentation of your complaints and injuries and can prevent the insurance companies from making a claim that your injuries were caused by a subsequent event or that the injury was made up. It is also imperative that you follow your doctor’s treatment recommendations until the completion of treatment.
Medical bills are very expensive – precisely a reason you should seek recovery. If you’re concerned about how you will pay, contact the Law Office of Jennifer Donaldson. We will assist you in finding medical professionals who can evaluate and treat your injuries and receive payment from the settlement.
Should I Accept the Insurance Company’s Settlement?
If you were the victim of an auto accident clearly caused by another’s negligence, that person’s insurance company may attempt to call you and offer a settlement. Many times, the offer sounds reasonable, and you may think you would like to avoid the hassle of a lawsuit.
Don’t do it. The settlement may not fully cover medical bills and subrogation claims, will likely not cover loss of income and may not cover other damages, like pain and suffering.
The Law Office of Jennifer Donaldson will negotiate on your behalf to recover a settlement that truly reflects your losses. She will also deal with any health insurance subrogation claims to maximize the amount of the settlement recovery that goes directly to you. Jennifer Donaldson is a tough negotiator who will seek a fair resolution of your claims.
If you are concerned about the hassle of filing a law suit, know that only a small percentage of auto accident cases ever make it that far. At the Law Office of Jennifer Donaldson, we will prepare a thorough presentation of your case for the insurance company in an effort to settle your claims without the need for lengthy and expensive litigation.
Should it become necessary to file a law suit, Jennifer Donaldson will be a strong advocate for you throughout the process.
Colorado Car Accident Resources
Safety | Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) – In addition to driver licenses, vehicle registrations, and titles, Colorado citizens also use the DMV for other vehicle and online services. On this website, you will find several forms, publications, and manuals. You can also use this website to find a location.
CDOT Colorado Department of Transportation on Safety
4201 East Arkansas Avenue
Denver, CO 80222
Colorado Department of Revenue | Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) – You can download traffic accident data for the city and county of Denver on this website. Based on the National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS), the data on this website is dynamic, meaning it is subject to change because additions, deletions, and/or modifications are allowed at any time.
DMV in Colorado
1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, CO 80214
United States Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Crash Overview – USDOT provides statistics regarding car accidents that occur each year in the United States. Following each annual report, the USDOT releases research notes or an overview explaining the crash reports.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) – The NHTSA provides car accident statistics and traffic safety facts nationally and by each state including the State of Colorado. Find safety information and statistics for the year 2014 are available.
News Stories about Recent Car Crashes – Visit the Denver Post to find out more about recent car crashes, multiple-car pileups, and fatal accidents in and around Denver and Aurora, CO, on Interstate I-70, US-6 W and US-85 S. Find out about motor vehicle accidents involving trucks, automobiles, motorcycles, and bicycles.
News Articles on Car Accidents – Visit CBS Denver for Channel 4 News to find a list of recent news articles on car accidents in Denver County, CO. Find information on current traffic conditions in Denver, CO, with links to traffic and accident maps.
Finding a Car Accident Attorney in Denver, Colorado
A car accident involving serious or catastrophic injuries can be a devastating experience. It is imperative to contact an honest, experienced car accident attorney to advocate on your behalf. Jennifer Donaldson of the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson proudly represents clients in all types of car accidents, including rear-end accidents, high-speed impact crashes, DUI / drunk driving accidents, reckless driving accidents, and hit and run accidents.
The Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson helps car accident victims throughout Denver County, including surrounding areas in Boulder County, Jefferson County, Adams County, and Arapahoe County.
Call for an appointment to have Denver’s personal injury lawyer, Jennifer Donaldson, review your case by calling (303) 458-5000 to take advantage of a free consultation. Find out what your case is worth today.